FACTS ABOUT CASHLESS PAYMENT METHODS.
- In 2016 Slovak banks issued all together 5.5 million payment cards
- The number of issued payment cards grew for almost 200 thousand year-on-year
- The largest share of issued payment cards in 2016 were debit cards for current accounts followed by credit cards and prepaid cards
- The number of payments made by payment cards is constantly rising. In 2016 year-on-year increase is 14 percent
- The number of payments made by payment cards increased year-on-year by 14 percent and the number of executed transactions increased by 7 percent
- Contactless payment cards are the most popular within customers. Currently more than 82 percent of cards are using this feature.
- In 2016 more than 38 percent of all payments were made by contactless payment cards. However, in 2012 it was only 1,2 percent.
- The number of payment terminals in Slovakia decreased in 2016 by almost 7 500 to total number of 42 150 terminals.
- The number of payments made by payment terminal increased year-on-year by 9,5 percent and the number of transactions by 3.9 percent.
Source: Slovak Bank Association